Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Light at the End of the Tunnel

About a month ago my mom called with devastating news.

The Dunkin' Donuts by her home closed down.

After recovering from my blackout and having bouts of denial, I came to the sad realization that I would no longer be able to enjoy the delicious goodness that is a Dunkin' Donut with out having to travel at least 35 miles. Which I would gladly do! Barefoot over broken glass, even. But, lets be realistic that's really far and gas is expensive.

A few weeks later, while visiting my mom, she had a strangely familiar looking box on her kitchen counter. A beautiful white, no brand, pastry box containing six delectable, perfect donuts. I cocked my head to one side and asked where these gorgeous, round treasures had come from. My mom replied, "I bought them from Fresh & Best Donuts."

"Wha? Ooooooh! That little hole in the wall that has been in this neighborhood for 50 years but I've snubbed because there was a Dunkin' Donuts around the block? That place?"

"Yes." She said.

I tried one. And let me tell you, boys and girls, it was delicious. Fresh, sweet, moist and just the right amount of frosting. They are not as perfect as the Holy Grail of all donuts but they are damn good. It's still a long drive from where I reside but it is a pilgrimage that I will gladly make on a weekly basis. Donut crisis solved and I am a happy panda.

5 comments:

  1. Never turn down the "hole in the wall" donut shops. You will always be pleasantly surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may be blasphemy to you but I hate Dunkin' Donuts. With every little bit of my soul. Don't know if you have them in your little corner of the country but here in NC there is the wonderful Anne's chain. The donut holes? Orgasmic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Odd Duck, we here at The Holy Donut celebrate and embrace ALL donuts. From the crappiest off-brand powdered donettes in cellophane to the fanciest gourmet pastries. When it comes to donuts, there are no wrong answers, only preferences.

    But I love Dunkin' Donuts and you are doomed to an eternity of hellfire for blaspheming their name. (kidding)

    I'm close to NC, I'll have to see if I can't find an Anne's...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Neil, Odd Duck. All lovers of The Holy Donut are welcome. However.... if you continue to defile the name of the almighty Dunkin' Donuts I shall be forced to do the unthinkable. I shall unfollow you on Twitter! You have been warned!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dominy, I LOVE little hole-in-the-wall, mom-and-pop restaurants. They have the best food. I was just too biased of this old place because of my undying affection and love for Dunkin' Donuts. I could not betray. :)

    ReplyDelete