Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Donuts as Health Food. No, Seriously.


I’m not going to lie to you.

I talk about donuts a lot more than I actually eat them. Who wants to drive across town to the Dunkin’ Donuts just to grab a couple of circular pastries full of sweet loving goodness? Or maybe a half dozen, since I went ahead and made the trip all the way out there. Or a full dozen so there’ll be some for later. Plus a couple of spares to eat in the car on the way home. And coffee, hot delicious coffee.

Okay, maybe I would like to do that every day. But the point is, I don’t. I know they are tasty and I know that if I eat them every day, not only will I be broke but I will be as big as a house, to coin a phrase. But I also know that, in moderation, they aren’t going to kill me. In fact, they might make it easier to eat that big salad for lunch. Or go on that 15 minute walk I know I should take. If I know there can be a reward, an occasional prize for sticking with good things like raw fruits and vegetables, it can make that celery even sweeter. Okay, celery is really only sweet when you pour honey on it, but still, that’s better than eating a whole donut and, well, I’m thinking I could use a little reward right about…NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment