Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Thank You Donut


After joining the holy donut, I thought, “what could I contribute?” Should I write about what it says about you if you choose a particular kind of donut? Example: Maple Bars say you are an old-fashioned person with a quick wit. Should I talk about how a great deal of my happy memories includes donuts? Should I mention how, in comparison to bagels you would find the donut is better for you? Maybe I could entitle my blog “Danish, the donut’s retarded cousin.”

Nope. I’ll just mention. Donuts, if you don’t like them something is wrong with you. I don’t know anyone who would turn down a donut. The first lawyer I worked for insisted on maple bars in the morning for breakfast. I found my favorite donut at a little whole in the wall when I was in high school. It’s a great place that just so happens to sell Vietnamese food as well. They have this fantastic donut they call the chocolate chip bar. Two fantastic tastes in one. Now I want one. There is a great place I go to on the way to work called Jumbo Donuts. They are actually jumbo! You cannot go wrong with a jumbo donut.

Donuts are known around the world:

Persians are known for their zoolbia and bamiyeh a fritter that comes in various shapes and sizes and coated in a sugar water syrup.

In Tunisia, a pastry similar to donuts are yo-yo's.

In Taiwan, there is shuāngbāotāi. Don’t ask me to pronounce it.
The Indonesian donat kentang is a potato doughnut, a ring-shaped fritter made from flour and mashed potatoes, coated in powder sugar or icing sugar.

Mister Donut is one of the most popular doughnut chains in Japan. Native to Okinawa is a spheroid pastry similar to donuts called sata andagi.

In Malaysia Kuih keria is a hole donut made from boiled sweet cassava that is mashed. The cassava mash is shaped into rings and fried. The hot donut is then rolled in granulated sugar. The result is a donut with a sugar crusted skin.
Pakistan, the Philippines, South Korea, Austria, Belgium, Croatia and Serbia, the Czech Republic, Germany or Poland, Denmark, France(Beignets, yum!),Greece, Lithuania,the Netherlands, to name just a few. (Thank you Wikipedia)

Anyhoo, the donut, the sweet, and sometimes savory, donut. I probably rambled and most likely spelled poorly. It's all meant to say a heartfelt thanks.

Thank you donut

1 comment: